Ask a random horror fan to start naming Wes Craven movies, and most of 'em will start rattling off the big guns: A Nightmare on Elm Street. Last House on The Left. Scream. One title that doesn't get quite as much love (but which we are big fans of here at FANGORIA HQ) is 1991's The People Under the Stairs.
Craven's follow-up to 1989's Shocker, The People Under the Stairs concerns a few would-be robbers who find themselves in waaaay over their heads after choosing the wrong damn house to break into. If you've never seen it, we don't wanna be the ones to spoil it for you (though the image at the top of this page oughtta serve as a hint), so let's just say there's a bit of The People Under the Stairs' DNA in last year's Barbarian. It's wild.
Anyway, as just pointed out by the good folks over at Bloody Disgusting, Craven's film is set to receive the 4K UHD treatment in a new release from Scream Factory. Here's what the cover looks like...
...and here's what the list of Bonus Features look like:
- Audio commentary by writer-director Wes Craven
- Audio commentary by actors Brandon Adams, A.J. Langer, Sean Whalen, and Yan Birch
- Interview with actress Wendy Robie
- Interviews with special effects artists Greg Nicotero, Howard Berger And Robert Kurtzman
- Interview with director of photography Sandi Sissel
- Interview with composer Don Peake
- Making-of featurette
- Behind-the-scenes footage
- Theatrical trailer
- TV spots
- Still galleries (storyboards and stills)
Not too shabby!
If you've never gotten around to The People Under the Stairs, well, this seems like the perfect time to catch up. This is a weird, freaky little movie (it's also funnier than you might expect!), one we think you'll be happy to have marked off your to-do list once you've seen it. Scream Factory's 4K UHD version of The People Under the Stairs will be available on April 25th. You can invite us to your watch parties if you want to.