EVIL DEAD RISE Trailer Was A Small Fraction Of The Gore In Store

Director Lee Cronin promises lots of hardcore horror coming our way.

By Ryan Scott · @RyanScottWrites · January 5, 2023, 8:37 PM EST
Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 5.33.10 PM

We were recently given a big, bloody gift in the form of the first red band trailer for Evil Dead Rise. This is the first movie within the franchise in a decade, with 2013’s Evil Dead being the last time the Deadites graced the silver screen. And, seriously, for those who perhaps haven’t watched it yet, it is beyond blood-soaked. Amazingly enough, despite all of the inventive carnage featured, director Lee Cronin promises that we’ve only seen but a fraction of the gory surprises the movie has to offer.

Cronin, who previously directed The Hole in the Ground, did a little trailer breakdown with the folks at Empire. During the conversation, the filmmaker explained that the footage is very much in line with the movie we’ll be seeing in theaters later this year. In essence, it will drop a brick on the gas pedal and not let up once the shit hits the fan.

“The trailer is really indicative of what the experience of the movie is like. I can say that with quite a bit of confidence. As a movie, it shakes you up – it does what the trailer does for an hour, and doesn’t really let you go.”

But the most impressive comment came when Cronin made the bold claim that “There’s a lot more to come,” adding, “the moments people are responding to, you’re really only getting 10% of the experience.” As for some specifics, Cronin says, “The scalp-rip is definitely one of my favourites,” and he also mentions the cheese grater bit, which is certainly inventive and worthy of a good cringe. Just imagine what the other 90% looks like?! The synopsis for the film reads as follows:

“Moving the action out of the woods and into the city, Evil Dead Rise tells a twisted tale of two estranged sisters, played by Sutherland and Sullivan, whose reunion is cut short by the rise of flesh-possessing demons, thrusting them into a primal battle for survival as they face the most nightmarish version of family imaginable.”

While Sam Raimi isn’t directing this one, he is on board as a producer, as are original producer Rob Tapert and Ash Williams himself, Bruce Campbell. The cast includes Lily Sullivan (I Met a Girl, Barkskins), Alyssa Sutherland (The Mist, Vikings), Morgan Davies (Storm Boy, The End), Gabrielle Echols (Reminiscence) and Nell Fisher (Northspur).

Evil Dead Rise is set to hit theaters on April 21.