Some of the most important and heralded horror movies of all time are coming together in a brand-new collection that will be here just in time for the Halloween season. Universal Pictures has announced the 4K Universal Classic Monsters Limited Edition Collection which, as the name implies, will collect some of the classic Universal Monsters films from the ‘30s and ‘40s. But the whole “limited edition” part of that title is rather important here.
The 4K Ultra HD collection will be exclusive to Amazon and will be limited to 5,500 copies. As for the specific films housed in the set? Eight all-time monster movie classics including Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon are contained within. The whole thing is housed in book-style packaging with rare photos, bios, trivia and original cover art by renowned artist Tristan Eaton. Check it out.
Universal says that each of the films has been digitally restored from high-resolution film elements to make up these new 4K releases. The collection features over 12 hours of bonus features including behind-the-scenes featurettes, production photographs and feature commentaries. Rather pleasantly, the studio is not skimping on the bonus features with this one. Here’s the entire list.
Universal Classic Monsters Limited Edition Collection Bonus Features
- The Road to Dracula
- Dracula: The Restoration
- Watch Dracula with Alternate Score by Philip Glass
- Boo!: A Short Film
- Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
- He Who Made Monsters: The Life and Art of Jack Pierce
- Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed!
- She's Alive! Creating The Bride of Frankenstein
- The Bride of Frankenstein Archive
- The Wolf Man: From Ancient Curse to Modern Myth
- The Opera Ghost: A Phantom Unmasked
- Back to the Black Lagoon
- Production Photographs from The Invisible Man, Phantom of the Opera and Creature from the Black Lagoon
- Feature Commentary from such people as Scott MacQueen, Film Historians Rudy Behlmer, Tom Weaver, Paul M. Jensen, Historian Sir Christopher Frayling
- And much more
So yeah, they’re trying to pack in some bang for your buck there. The collection is currently available to pre-order and retails for $129.99. It is due to be released on October 3, which would get this on your doorstep just in time for your Halloween season movie marathon purposes. Admittedly, at that price point, this isn’t for casual fans. But for more hardcore horror lovers? This will look mighty good on the ol’ physical media shelf.
The Universal Classic Monsters Limited Edition Collection is available for pre-order. To secure a copy, head on over to Amazon.com.