According to a press release we just received here at FANGORIA HQ, David Gordon Green's The Exorcist: Believer is headed to 4K UHD and Blu-ray on December 19th, just in time for your last-minute gift-giving needs, and - as an added bonus - it'll be rolling out with a ton of bonus features, including a brand-new commentary track!
Here's a full list of everything included:
- MAKING A BELIEVER – Filmmakers and cast reveal their collective approach to bringing differing perspectives into this drama about synchronized possessions.
- ELLEN AND LINDA: REUNITED – The Exorcist: Believer expertly weaves the fates of Chris and Regan MacNeil into its story. Witness a moment of cinema history as these two Hollywood icons meet on-set for the first time in years.
- STAGES OF POSESSION – Hear from Lidya Jewett, Olivia O'Neill, and special makeup FX designer Christopher Nelson as they discuss the physical and mental changes the girls go through as they advance through the possession.
- THE OPENING – The first scene of the film takes place in Haiti, a location far from the rest of the story. Filmmakers and star Leslie Odom, Jr. discuss how this scene sets up the rest of the film.
- EDITING AN EXORCISM – The Exorcist: Believer culminates with a riveting exorcism scene featuring all the main characters. Director David Gordon Green and editor Tim Alverson explore the challenges of editing such a big scene.
- MATTERS OF FAITH – Experts in theology weigh in on how they consulted filmmakers to ensure depictions of the religious ceremonies in the film were as accurate as possible.
- FEATURE COMMENTARY – with co-writer/director David Gordon Green, executive producer Ryan Turek, co-writer Peter Sattler, and special makeup FX designer Christopher Nelson.
It's great to see a big horror title shipping out on disc with an attached director's commentary, isn't it? Those things used to be par for the course back in the day, but in recent years have become harder to come by. The "Matters of Faith" bonus feature, which features a number of theologians sharing the input that informed the film's religious ceremonies, also strikes us as something worth seeking out. All told, this is a strong lineup!
For the uninitiated, The Exorcist: Believer revolves around two little girls who go missing, only to return three days later acting very strangely, indeed. It soon becomes apparent that both have been possessed, which leads one of the girl's fathers (played by the great Leslie Odom, Jr.) to seek out the help of one Chris MacNeil (Ellen Burstyn, reprising her role from the original Exorcist).
Reactions to The Exorcist: Believer were divided, but perhaps once the film gets into the hands of non-theatergoers it will find a number of new fans. We'll find out after Gordon Green's film hits digital on December 1st and 4K UHD and Blu-ray on December 19th. Stay tuned for more on The Exorcist franchise (including the proposed next film in this particular trilogy, The Exorcist: Deceiver) as further updates become available.