After releasing the brand new episode titles in a video teaser (seen below), EW have exclusively revealed the plot details for all five episodes (two more than Season 5) of the upcoming season:
- Joan is Awful is the story of an average woman who is stunned to discover a global streaming platform has launched a prestige TV drama adaptation of her life, in which she is portrayed by Hollywood A-lister Salma Hayek. In addition to Hayek, the episode stars Annie Murphy, Michael Cera, Rob Delaney, Ben Barnes, and Himesh Patel. The episode's directed by Ally Pankiw.
- Directed by Sam Miller, Loch Henry is about a young couple who travel to a sleepy Scottish town to work on a genteel nature documentary but find themselves drawn to a juicy local story involving shocking events from the past. It stars Samuel Blenkin, Myha'la Herrold, Daniel Portman, John Hannah, and Monica Dolan.
- Beyond the Sea takes place in an alternate 1969, where two men on a perilous high-tech mission wrestle with the consequences of an unimaginable tragedy. Directed by John Crowley, it stars Aaron Paul, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, Auden Thornton, and Rory Culkin. Given the spacesuit visible in EW's photo, it's worth remembering that 1969 was the year that America sent a man to the moon.
- In the episode Mazey Day, directed by Uta Briesewitz, a troubled starlet is dogged by invasive paparazzi while dealing with the consequences of a hit-and-run incident. It stars Zazie Beetz, Clara Rugaard, and Danny Ramirez.
- Demon 79 takes place in northern England in 1979, where a meek sales assistant is told she must commit terrible acts to prevent disaster. It stars Anjana Vasan, Paapa Essiedu, Katherine Rose Morley, and David Shields. Notably, this is the only episode not solely written by Black Mirror creator Charlie Brooker, but is instead co-written by former Ms. Marvel head writer Bisha K. Ali. It's directed by Toby Haynes.
EW have also dropped a whole bunch of exclusive photos that show some of the aforementioned stars in varying states of technological distress. Here's a full rundown of the impressive cast: Aaron Paul, Anjana Vasan, Annie Murphy, Auden Thornton, Ben Barnes, Clara Rugaard, Daniel Portman, Danny Ramirez, Himesh Patel, John Hannah, Josh Hartnett, Kate Mara, Michael Cera, Monica Dolan, Myha’la Herrold, Paapa Essiedu, Rob Delaney, Rory Culkin, Salma Hayek Pinault, Samuel Blenkin, and Zazie Beetz.
Black Mirror's log line asks us to “expect the unexpected in the long-awaited return of Charlie Brooker’s dark, satirical anthology series, which reinvents itself with each new episode. The sixth season of Black Mirror is the most unpredictable, unclassifiable and unexpected yet.”
Mr Brooker himself, series creator, has hinted that the new season might look quite different from what we've come to expect from the show:
"Partly as a challenge, and partly to keep things fresh for both me and the viewer, I began this season by deliberately upending some of my own core assumptions about what to expect. Consequently, this time, alongside some of the more familiar Black Mirror tropes we’ve also got a few new elements, including some I’ve previously sworn blind the show would never do, to stretch the parameters of what ‘a Black Mirror episode’ even is.”
Black Mirror season 6 is set to hit Netflix in June.