Zombie fave “THE DEAD NEXT DOOR” gets Ultimate Edition Blu-ray set, now pre-ordering on IndiegogoMovies/TV,News Michael Gingold
A milestone in independent horror fare is going hi-def in an exhaustive multidisc set, and is now up for pre-order along with a bunch of additional merchandise. Read on for the full details.
J.R. Bookwalter’s Tempe Video is currently assembling a three-disc Ultimate Edition Blu-ray release of THE DEAD NEXT DOOR, to mark the 30th anniversary of its start of production and the 25th anniversary of its first release. The four-year project was shot on Super-8 film and remains one of the most ambitious movies ever made in that format, telling of an elite team of Zombie Squad soldiers battling not only the undead (played by over 1,500 extras) that have taken over the world, but a sinister religious cult trying to protect the flesheaters.
For the Ultimate Edition (tentative artwork seen at right), Bookwalter is assembling four unrated versions of his flick, two from a brand new 2K restoration using original film elements; DEAD NEXT DOOR will be presented in 1080p HD in both the original 4:3 aspect ratio and 16×9 cropped, along with the standard-definition masters used for the past VHS and DVD releases. All the commentary tracks and other bonus features from the previous versions will be included, along with new supplements; see the complete list below.
Tempe currently has the Ultimate Edition (set to ship in October) available for pre-order at its Indiegogo page, which is also offering posters, retro VHS editions, scripts and other perks. You can see a bunch of before-and-after comparison shots of the restoration there as well. Check out a trailer for the new edition at the bottom of this page, and follow its progress on Facebook.
Here’s the complete list of contents:
Disc 1 (Blu-ray)
• 2K Restored Feature Presented in 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio
• 2K Restored Feature Presented in 1.85:1 Widescreen (first time ever!)
• Remastered 5.1 Surround and Stereo 2.0 mixes
• All-new 2015 commentary (participants TBA)
• 2005 commentary with writer/director J.R. Bookwalter, actor Michael Todd and cinematographer Michael Tolochko
• 2005 Behind-the-Scenes footage
• 2005 Deleted Scenes & Outtakes
• Three still galleries (including new foreign artwork gallery!)
• All-new 2015 trailer
Disc 2 (DVD)
• 2005 Remastered Feature in 4:3 Original Aspect Ratio with Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and Stereo 2.0 mixes (78 mins.)
• 1990 Original Release Version with Stereo 2.0 mix (85 mins.)
• NEW! Optional Stereo 2.0 Spanish Dubbed Mix (1990 version only)
• All-new 2015 Commentary with Doug Tilley and Moe Porne of The No-Budget Nightmares Podcast (1990 version only)
• 20 Years in 15 Minutes (16 mins.)
• Video Storyboards (8 mins.)
• Video Pre-Shoots (6 mins.)
• Auditions (14 mins.)
• Three Miles Out Music Video (3 mins.)
• 2000 Frightvision Reunion (6 mins.)
• 1995 Making-of Featurette (first time on DVD!)
• Original 1999 trailer
Disc 3 (CD)
• Original Motion Picture Soundtrack with Complete Score by J.R. Bookwalter plus unreleased songs by Argus, Joy Circuit and Three Miles Out
• Reversible sleeve with your choice of original 1990 Electro Video artwork reproduction autographed by writer/director J.R. Bookwalter, or all-new 2015 artwork