A lifelong genre fanatic, Smith loves all things Carpenter and
plays a mean game of hide and seek. Currently the Editor In Chief of
Icons of Fright, Jerry hails from the dead center of California and
changes diapers on his off time.
Winners, Highlight Video Revealed for FEARnyc FestivalMovies/TV,News Jerry Smith
Halloween 2016 might be heading towards a distant memory, but it took off like a scream as founder John Capo kicked off his inaugural FEARnyc festival at Manhattan’s historic Cinema Village theater. One of New York City’s newest and biggest horror film festivals, the event scared the pants off lovers of the macabre and covered a whopping seven days from October 21st thru the 27th. It featured screenings of 65+ new and classic horror films, cast appearances, special events and ended with an awards ceremony and a moving Legacy Honoree tribute to iconic filmmaker, Wes Craven. Craven’s step daughter Nina Tarnawksky accepted the tribute on behalf of Craven’s family and delivered a heartfelt address paying homage to his forward thinking vision, and long harbored esteem for his audiences.
Other speakers included ‘Time Out New York’ columnist Joshua Rothkopf, ‘Nightmares on Elm Street’ actor Jsu Garcia and even featured a surprise satellite address from beloved horror ‘damsel in distress,’ Dee Wallace. Filmmaker Michael Stever was on hand to not only cover highlights from the proceedings, but screen his documentary short film, ‘Resurrecting Carrie’ which has been making the rounds at several festivals and features three time Academy Award nominee Piper Laurie. See the included featurette produced by Stever below, featuring highlights from one Hell of a bloody fun week.
Award Ceremony winners included:
- Best Feature Film: A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO SNUFF
- Best Director: Phillip Guzman, DEAD AWAKE
- Best Screenplay: Jeffrey Reddick, DEAD AWAKE
- Best Actor: Joey Kern, A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO SNUFF
- Best Actress: Bree Williamson, A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO SNUFF
- Best Documentary Film: UNEARTHED & UNTOLD: THE PATH TO PET SEMATARY
- Best Short Film: THE EVE
- Best Cinematography: A. Vasanth, AWAKENINGS
- Best Visual Effects: Andrew Lewitin and Ryan J.Thompson, THE DARK TAPES
- Best Editing: Michael Swingler, SICKHOUSE
- Best Production Design: Kurt Wehner, DEAD AWAKE
- Best Score: Zazu Pitts, SQUATTERS
- Best Make-Up Design: Poffo Ortiz, THE POSSESSION EXPERIMENT
- Best Costume Design: Jane Ji, CHATEAU SAUVIGNON: TERROIR
- Best Lighting Design: Ken Stachnik, CLOWNTOWN
- Best Sound Design: Steven Aram and Travis Cote, THE DARK TAPES
- 2016 Women in Horror Honoree – Adrienne Lovette for HIDDEN DAYLIGHT
- Innovative Storytelling – Rick Gawel for MICHAEL MYERS: ABSOLUTE EVIL
- Special Citation – THE CAST OF LOST CREEK
- Producer of the Year – Chris Gierowski for DON’T FUCK IN THE WOODS and HEAD
Be sure to visit www.FEARnyc.com to learn more.