Ken W. Hanley is the Managing Web Editor for FANGORIA and STARLOG, as well as the former Web Editor for Diabolique Magazine and a contributing writer to YouWonCannes.com. He’s a graduate from Montclair State University, where he received an award for Excellence in Screenwriting. He’s currently working on screenplays, his debut novel “THE I IN EVIL”, and various other projects, and can be followed on Twitter: @movieguyiguess.
Severin Films Brings “DOCTOR BUTCHER MD” to Blu-ray!Movies/TV,News Ken W. Hanley
For those who love New York Horror as much as this writer, there’s a certain wonderment as to the glory days of exploitation and genre pictures. Nowadays, the closest thing to the grindhouse are the few times those ‘70s and ‘80s terror titles make their way to revival houses or, even worse, DVD sets with 20 poorly-transferred films lost in a sea of copyright forfeitures. However, some people, such as the fantastic folks over at Severin Films, are going the extra mile to preserve the most shocking grindhouse titles possible, and now, they’re bringing a VHS classic chiller to disc for the first time: DOCTOR BUTCHER, MD!
Starring Ian McCulloch (ZOMBIE), Alexandra Delli Colli (THE NEW YORK RIPPER), Sherry Buchanan (TENTACLES), and Donald O’Brien (EMANUELLE AND THE LAST CANNIBALS), both DOCTOR BUTCHER MD and its uncut initial release version, ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST, have been fully restored with a 2K transfer by Severin in a 2-Disc Blu-ray set, with over 2-and-½ hours of special features to go with it! Not only that but the first 5000 copies of this release, which hits shelves on July 26th, will come with official DOCTOR BUTCHER Barf Bag! You can pre-order this bloody Blu-ray now at Severin’s official website HERE; check out the full list of special features below, and be sure to follow Severin on Facebook!
Bonus Features (DOCTOR BUTCHER MD):
- 2K transfer from original negative elements
- Featurette: BUTCHERY & BALLYHOO: Interview with Aquarius Releasing’s Terry Levene.
- Featurette: DOWN ON THE DEUCE: Nostalgic Tour Of 42nd Street With Temple Of Schlock’s Chris Poggiali and Filmmaker Roy Frumkes.
- Roy Frumkes’ Segment Of Unfinished Anthology Film TALES THAT WILL TEAR YOUR HEART
- Featurette: THE BUTCHER MOBILE: Interview with Gore Gazette Editor & Butcher Mobile Barker Rick Sullivan
- Featurette: CUTTING DOCTOR BUTCHER: Interview with Editor Jim Markovic.
- Illustrated Essay: Experiments With A Male Caucasian Brain (…and other memories of 42nd Street)” By Gary Hertz.
- Trailers: One Theatrical and Two Video Release Trailers for DOCTOR BUTCHER MD.
Bonus Features (ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST):
Restored Deleted Materials from 16mm Elements
Featurette: VOODOO MAN: Interview With Star Ian McCulloch.
Featurette: BLOOD OF THE ZOMBIES: Interview With FX Master Rosario Prestopino.
Featurette: FILMMAKER ENZO G. CASTELLARI REMEMBERS HIS FATHER DIRECTOR MARINO GIROLAMI
Featurette: SHERRY HOLOCAUST: Interview With Actress Sherryl Buchanan.
Featurette: NEUROSURGERY ITALIAN STYLE: An Interview With FX Artist Maurizio Trani
Featurette: New York Filming Locations Then Vs. Now. A look at the Big Apple locales as they are today.
Audio Bonus: Ian McCulloch Sings “Down By The River”
Trailers: The International and German Trailers for ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST.
First 5000 Copies come with Official Barf Bag.