“NEKROMANTIK” returns on 25th-anniversary DVDMovies/TV,News Michael Gingold
Has it really been 25 years since NEKROMANTIK first shocked and awed the international horror scene? It has, and we’ve got the details on the movie’s first U.S. DVD edition since Barrel’s release over a decade ago, along with the new cover art.
New disc producer/distributor Titan Video will release Jörg Buttgereit’s cult classic of corpse-porking art on a 25th-anniversary disc, available for pre-order soon. “Titan Video was founded with one principle in mind,” according to a company statement, “which became our philosophy: quality releases of horror, cult and exploitation films for fans and collectors alike, and we thought of no better way than to start our venture with a film like NEKROMANTIK.” The DVD will come with a two-sided cover insert (designs by Avery Frawley seen below); a third cover will front a special Signature Edition, limited to 100 copies, that Buttgereit will sign at New Jersey’s Chiller Theatre convention next month.
NEKROMANTIK will be presented in a new 1.33:1 digital transfer mastered from producer Manfred O. Jelinski’s 16mm internegative, in German with removable English subtitles. Special features include:
• Audio commentary by writer/director Buttgereit and co-scripter Franz Rodenkirchen
• Liner notes by Buttgereit and COMBAT SHOCK director Buddy Giovinazzo
• Featurette with outtakes and interviews with Buttgereit and Jelinski
• “The Making of NEKROMANTIK,” including behind-the-scenes footage
• Extensive gallery of over 100 stills from the collection of Buttgereit and Jelinski
• Buttgereit’s Super-8 short film HOT LOVE, which will also be issued on a limited-edition VHS
For more info, check out Titan’s official website. Fango will be celebrating this occasion with a new, exclusive Buttgereit interview by Kier-La Janisse in issue #323, on sale in April.