First wave of Fantasia 2013 titles announced!Movies/TV,News Michael Gingold
The Fantasia film festival is getting ready to take over Montreal next month, and an exciting first round of featured films has been announced.
North America’s best genre fest, running July 18-August 6, will offer a wide selection of horror, fantasy and other varieties of movies from all over the world. The following fright flicks have been confirmed:
• THE WORLD’S END, the eagerly awaited new film from the SHAUN OF THE DEAD/HOT FUZZ team of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, about a group of 40somethings trying to recreate a pub crawl from their youth and encountering an alien invasion, making its Canadian premiere as the closing-night film on the 6th with Wright and members of the cast in attendance
• THE CONJURING, James Wan’s much-buzzed-about supernatural thriller, showing as part of the opening night festivities with actress Joey King (pictured above) hosting
• ACROSS THE RIVER, an atmospheric, slow-burn horror film from Italian director Lorenzo Bianchini, making its world premiere
• BIG BAD WOLVES, the Canadian premiere of the kidnapping shocker (review here) from Israeli filmmakers Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado, who will be in attendance
• CHEAP THRILLS, E.L. Katz’s study of the lengths two men will go when a rich couple pose a series of increasingly insane challenges to them in exchange for money (review here), making its Canadian premiere with Katz hosting
• HALLEY, a Mexican undead drama in which zombieism is treated like a degenerative medical condition, in its Canadian premiere hosted by writer/director Sebastian Hofman
• L’AUTRE MONDE (THE OTHERWORLD), the world premiere of a documentary by Fantasia regular Richard Stanley focusing on a region in the South of France suffused in magic and the occult, with Stanley, co-writer Scarlett Amaris, composer Simon Boswell, editor Patrick Tremblay and cinematographer Karim Hussain all attending
• MAGIC MAGIC, the Canadian premiere of the Michael Cera/Juno Temple-starring psychological thriller directed by Sebastian Silva (review here)
• RETURN TO NUKE ’EM HIGH, VOL. ONE, the world premiere of the latest in Lloyd Kaufman and the Troma Team’s saga of the high school where sex, violence and bad taste rule, hosted by Kaufman
• THE WEIGHT, the story of a hunchbacked mortician and the odd folks (both living and dead) he encounters, directed by South Korea’s Jeon Kyu-hwan, in its North American premiere
• WILLOW CREEK, the international premiere of Bobcat Goldthwait’s straight-faced found-footage saga of the hunt for Bigfoot and the frightening discoveries it leads to, with Goldthwait in attendance
Also part of the lineup are Dilip Ghosh’s Indian action epic COMMANDO: A ONE MAN ARMY, Eddie Mullins’ apocalyptic comedy DOOMSDAYS, Richie Mehta’s science-fiction mystery I’LL FOLLOW YOU DOWN starring Haley Joel Osment and Gillian Anderson, Herman Yau’s martial-arts film IP MAN: THE FINAL FIGHT, Satoshi Miki’s surreal nightmare comedy IT’S ME, IT’S ME, Shinsuke Sato’s Orwellian action/comedy LIBRARY WARS AND Sean Ellis’ dramatic thriller METRO MANILA. In addition, Fantasia will host a three-night engagement of Clive Barker’s stage show A HISTORY OF THE DEVIL on August 1-3, and present a Lifetime Achievement Award to daring Polish director Andrzej Zulawski of POSSESSION and many others. For more info, keep yours eyes on Fantasia’s website.