First look: Synapse’s “DEMONS” duo Steelbook Blu-ray/DVD editionsMovies/TV,News Michael Gingold 1 Comment
Italian-horror fans, prepare to drool. We first broke the news here, and now the packaging and details have just been unveiled for Synapse Films’ Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray/DVD combo releases of Lamberto Bava’s DEMONS and DEMONS 2.
Synapse has announced that both of these hardcore splatterfests will be issued only in the Steelbooks, limited to 3,000 units each, available exclusively at the company’s website. They’ll be streeting around November, priced at $39.95 + $6 shipping each, with pre-orders beginning within the next week; once they’re sold out, that’s it—they will not be re-pressed, nor are there any plans to issue the movies in standard editions. Each Steelbook will be the size of traditional Blu-ray packaging and contain a Blu-ray (BD-50) and DVD (DVD-9) of the feature and extras, sporting original cover art by Wes Benscoter. First, feast your eyes on the art, and then check out the specs (not completely finalized, but pretty damn exciting so far) below.
• Transfer from a new HD scan of the original 35mm negative, in 1080p/23.98fps 1.66:1 aspect ratio (not the same muted colors and weak black levels as previous released versions)
• Original Italian-language stereo mix, the “international” stereo alternate dub mix and the original U.S. mono soundtrack, all encoded in DTS-HD MA, with removable English subtitles for both the original Italian version and the U.S.-language dub version
• Audio commentary featuring recollections from director Bava, makeup FX artist Sergio Stivaletti, musician Claudio Simonetti and actress Geretta Geretta
• Collectible reproduction of the original Metropol Theatre ticket seen in the film.
• Featurettes from Calum Waddell’s High Rising Productions company, including:
-“Profondo Jones—The Critical Perspective”: Interview with Alan Jones
-“Carnage at the Cinema—Lamberto Bava and His Splatter Masterpiece”: 30-minute interview with Bava
-“Monstrous Memories With Luigi Cozzi”: 30-minute interview
-“Splatter Stunt Rock”: Interview with stuntman Ottaviano Dell’Acqua
-“Dario and His Demons—Producing Monster Mayhem”: All-new exclusive interview with producer Dario Argento
• Transfer from a new HD scan of the original 35mm negative, in 1080p/23.98fps 1.66:1 aspect ratio [not the same muted colors and weak black levels as previous released versions]
• Original Italian-language mix and original English soundtrack, both encoded in DTS-HD MA with removable English subtitles
• Featurettes from Waddell and High Rising:
-“Screaming for a Sequel—The Delirious Legacy of DEMONS 2”: Interview with Bava
-“The Demons Generation—Roy Bava Discusses a Legacy in Lacerations”: Assistant director Roy Bava speaks about his experiences on DEMONS and DEMONS 2
-“A Soundtrack for Splatter”: Composer Simon Boswell discusses his genre music-making career
-“Demonic Influences—Federico Zampaglione Speaks”: Interview with the director of SHADOW and TULPA