If you wish to go to the current Fangoria site, you may click the top logo, "Home" or "News" links. Or click here.
This past Saturday night, I got a chance to visit the Horror Hill haunted trail, a dark and creepy attraction located in Newnan, Georgia. This was also a special night, because I took advantage of the opportunity to pay a little extra and stay for a campout, where they scare the hell out of you all night long by a fire.
OK, let’s start at the beginning: My group and I got there at about 11 p.m., and got the VIP treatment because we were campers. We were able to bypass all the long lines and move right to the front.
Now, the coolest thing about Horror Hill is that it takes place in the woods. Yes, there are houses and cabins you enter and exit, but I love haunted attractions that take you out into the trees. I’m all about real sets and backdrops, not being scared in an ex-Circuit City.
Part of this attraction is called Vertigo Trail, and was the scariest part for me, because the ground was uneven and it involved a lot of tight spaces. Give my ass a break—I’m claustrophobic. So, after getting scared for about 45 minutes, we are taken to our campground, where we were entertained until 5 a.m. with movies, campfires, music, scares, laughs and even a behind-the-scenes look at the haunted trail. They even had a murder-mystery-esque theme going on throughout the night—but not the way you would expect. Shhhh…I don’t want to give it away.
Horror Hill has been around since 1984, and it delivers the fun, scares, laughs and craziness that I have come to love about it over the years. If you go to Horror Hill (see the official website here), make sure you stay for the campout—it’s totally worth it.
1) The woods are scary and you could possibly fall and break your neck, and that’s awesome.
2) They make homemade Rice Krispie treats that are the best in the state.
3) The staff and actors stay in character while communicating with you. You should always stay in character.
4) At one point, they make you slide down a slide in the dark by yourself. I loved that shit!
5) I love that it’s 45 minutes long; you get your money’s worth.
6) There is a character called “Paw Paw.” He is my haunted-house hero. When you go, look for Paw Paw. He’s amazing.
7) I know the actors can’t touch you, but I pray one day I get felt up by one by accident.
8) Sometimes, haunted houses forget to have fun. They are not machines, but are supposed to be about interaction, laughing and screaming. Horror Hill remembers this!
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY AND BE THE FIRST TO KNOW ABOUT NEWS, CONTESTS, EVENTS AND MORE!
All contents © 2011 Fangoria Entertainment