If you wish to go to the current Fangoria site, you may click the top logo, "Home" or "News" links. Or click here.
• R2 Films gave Fango the news that it has picked up WOMEN’S STUDIES, writer/director Lonnie Martin’s feminism-oriented fright feature, and set a DVD release date under its Big Bite Entertainment banner.
Originally set to be distributed by MTI, the movie has since been re-edited by Martin and will debut on disc June 15. Cindy Marie Martin (pictured above), Tara Garwood, Kelley Slagle, Melisa Breiner-Sanders, Laura Bloechl, Tiffany James and the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD’s Judith O’Dea star in this story of a group of road-tripping college students who are brought to an elite academy, where the principles of feminism are taken to violent extremes. DVDetails and cover art are coming soon; another Big Bite entry slated for the 15th is LONG PIGS, which we previously reported on (along with the label’s other titles) here. You can read more about WOMEN’S STUDIES at its official website, and in Fango #294, on sale in May.
• Synergetic Distribution confirmed to Fango that it did not release the DVD of Balaji K. Kumar’s chiller 9 LIVES OF MARA as intended last month, and has removed the title from its schedule. The reasons haven’t been confirmed, and there’s no word yet on when or from whom 9 LIVES might come out on disc. We’ll keep you posted…
• Troma is bringing Bob Gray’s BIGFOOT to DVD March 30, and has Marc de Launay’s Scottish-set chiller DARK NATURE arriving April 27 on both DVD and Blu-ray. In Gray’s movie, attacks on deer near a small Ohio community are blamed on a bear, but an Army veteran knows it’s the work of a Sasquatch—which starts savaging people as well. Special features include:
• Making-of documentary
• Behind-the-scenes footage
• Photo gallery
Retail price is $19.95. In DARK NATURE, which combines bloody horror with dark humor, a mother and daughter spending the weekend in a rural area come under attack by sinister forces. Both discs will present the movie in 2.35:1 widescreen with 5.1 Surround sound and these extras:
• Audio commentary by de Launay
• Deleted scenes
Retail price is $14.95 for the DVD, $19.95 for the Blu-ray.
• Tempe Video is handling distribution for a pair of fright features coming this spring. First up on April 27 is St. Lindsey Pictures’ SPIRIT, directed by Mark Wagner and centering on the Strega family, which has embraced its long string of misfortunes—with the exception of youngest daughter Noel. Her ability to hold the family together is put to the ultimate test when their bad karma spawns a demon that threatens to plunge them into true darkness. The anamorphic transfer will by supplemented by:
• Snort footage (that’s what it says here…)
• Goo reel (ditto)
• LLORONA trailer
Out May 25 from Massive Ego Productions is THE LANDLORD, in which the title character has a high turnover in occupants—since his building is inhabited by flesheating demons that prey on the tenants. Directed by Emil Hyde, it will also be presented in anamorphic widescreen, plus:
• Audio commentary by Hyde and the cast
• Behind-the-scenes featurette
Retail price for both discs is $19.99 each. You can find out more about THE LANDLORD at its official website.
• Writer/director Sonny Fernandez of Down Twisted Studios has released his Lovecraftian flick THE LAST BATTLEGROUND in a two-DVD set (now available at Amazon.com), and gave us content details as well as the scoop on another disc he’s putting out, THE ABORTED. LAST BATTLEGROUND takes place on the night that the forces of hell have won a battle with heaven, and a group of survivors are forced to confront a legion of demons. On disc one, the feature (presented in fullscreen with 5.1 sound) comes with audio commentary by Fernandez and stars Liz Dockter, Cody Tergesen, Dan Sorenson, Justin Kavlie and Sam Ova, while disc two contains:
• Seven deleted scenes with Fernandez’s introductions
• “Tinfoil Apocalypse: The Special Effects of THE LAST BATTLEGROUND” featurette
• Interviews with actors Tergesen and Aaron Swensen
• Blooper reel
The set can be purchased here for $15. THE ABORTED, which will be available at Amazon March 9, is about the violent murders of young women who have all received in-home abortions from a mysterious girl—crimes committed by the fetuses themselves. This one will also be in fullscreen with 5.1 audio, accompanied by:
• Audio commentary by Fernandez
• 15-minute behind-the-scenes/blooper reel
• Trailers for THE ABORTED and other Down Twisted Studios Films
Retail price for this one will be just $9.
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY AND BE THE FIRST TO KNOW ABOUT NEWS, CONTESTS, EVENTS AND MORE!
All contents © 2011 Fangoria Entertainment